Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pick 3... Any 3.

Drawing live portraits can be most awkward.

An older man once hired me to draw his portrait. As I was starting, he whispered to me instructions to leave out his double chins. I did. He was happy and paid me very well. It looked nothing like him.


This girl's portrait was from my 3-color phase. I would draw using only the three colors the subject chose. I liked the openness it allowed me. Besides, if I didn’t do such a great job with capturing their likeness – at least they liked the colors.

4 comments:

Doggie said...

And you could make it match the furniture.

...Sharon said...

I sat on your furniture one late night and drew one of Steve. Do ya remember that?

He gave it to his folks.

Doggie said...

No, were we on Oregon then?

...Sharon said...

I dunno David… I sat on your sofa under a big abstracted oil painting (done by, I think, Mike Slay). I drew Steve in blues and greens. Later you and I sat on the back porch and laughed hysterically at the antics of a squirrel hanging off the electric lines, trying nab a fresh peach from a tree. We also admired your neighbor’s whimsically decorated, yet well groomed yard.

I don’t recall which state you lived on, but I do recall the state we were in.