Friday, March 13, 2009

The Hills are Alive...

…with schmaltz.

Work has been pretty scarce lately. My last big assignment was a sample project with designs to woo work from some tough Canadian publisher. I was given a week to render a whitetail deer ecosystem. I used every day of it. The art director loved it, but the publisher didn’t. Oh well. We haven't given up yet.

This is a practice piece from the series that just evolved into…

“The Sound of Music”, Montana style. You know, in my own schmaltz’ed up style.



Schmaltz [shmahlts, shmawlts]
–noun
1. Informal. exaggerated sentimentalism, as in music or soap operas.
2. fat or grease, esp. of a chicken.
Also, schmalz.
Variations: schmaltzier, schmaltziest, schmaltziness, schmaltzy, schmalz, schmalzier, schmalziest, schmalzy
Origin:
1930–35; < Yiddish shmalts or G Schmaltz; c. smelt


(The kid is my nephew, Aedan who has taken to music since a baby; 'Manda and I gave him the violin last year.)

No comments: